Paradise Cruisers Forum
September 17, 2014, 11:34:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: Attention Guests and Members Waiting for Activation...
Please take a moment to read THIS POST with important site information.  Mahalo!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydro-Boost Brakes... How does this work ?  (Read 3188 times)
GKR
Global Moderator
Fanatical Cruiser

« on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »

Hope this is not a stupid question,  Undecided but Rob's recent thread has created interest in this for us here at Team GKR.

Could you guys please explain how this system works ?

HawaiianHotRod.com
Rob
Fanatical Cruiser

Gifts with strings are no longer gifts

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »

In a nutshell:

Hydroboost uses fluid pressure from the power steering to generate braking power instead of vacuum or in the case of the turbo regal, the dreaded powermaster.

IT is commonly used on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and a few passenger cars.

More plumbing, but it works....

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1&oq=Hydroboo&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4HPIC_en___US236&q=hydroboost+brakes

Conversion info:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1&oq=hydroboost+brake+&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4HPIC_en___US236&q=hydroboost+brake+conversion

nealysa
The Prision Bitch
Devoted Cruiser

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/Hydratech/tech.html
DTA Racing
Ball Boy
Constant Cruiser

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »

In a nutshell:

Hydroboost uses fluid pressure from the power steering to generate braking power instead of vacuum.
IT is commonly used on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and a few passenger cars.

Yup, what he said ...

Doing a brake job on a truck with a hydro-boost is the same as other trucks.  Just that 1-ton trucks may have a full floating axles on the rear with a hub.

Two Scoops No Shame, Side Salad and Gravy All 'Ova!!!      CHEE HOOO!!!!
black02-z28
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »

turbo motors have positive pressure instead of vacuum when accelerating (I know that is a given LOL). There is a one way valve on the brake booster, but still...I run vac brakes, I nailed it on kam highway, was at full boost and had a car pull out in front of me. had to STAND on it to get her stopped! Hydro boost always stops Smiley
Chad89GT
Administrator
Fanatical Cruiser

9-sec jigsaw puzzle!

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »

As mentioned, the advantage to hydro-boost is that there is braking assistance as long as there is pressure in the power steering system.  A great advantage to boosted street cars or vehicles with little/no intake manifold vacuum.  I'm not sure if there is a reservoir to store pressure in the case the engine dies.  shrug

306 with a few bolt ons... honest...
Quote from: Shaff90GT
The chinese set fire crackers for everything.  "Hey man, I have to go take a shit!" POW POW POW
Quote from: Hawaiian Turbo
I have a rotating ass. if anyone is interested
modularfox
Dedicated Cruiser

Bench Racer

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 03:57:03 PM »

also its used when space is limited...in which a conventional vacuum assist cant fit...
John
John The Butcher
Enthusiastic Cruiser

Ka-Chow!

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:19:41 PM »

As mentioned, the advantage to hydro-boost is that there is braking assistance as long as there is pressure in the power steering system.  A great advantage to boosted street cars or vehicles with little/no intake manifold vacuum.  I'm not sure if there is a reservoir to store pressure in the case the engine dies.  shrug

actually some has a electric motor for backup, just in case.  Majority of medium dutry trucks w/ hydro-boost, you could hear the backup electric motor come on when you press the brakes while the engine is off.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:24:45 PM by John » Logged

"icehead icehead....la li la li icehead......"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: