Paradise Cruisers Forum
January 18, 2018, 05:56:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: The "Calendar" and "Events" board have been updated with the latest schedule of Cruise Nights by East End Hot Rods!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Suzy-Q" Rides Again  (Read 16072 times)
Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« on: September 08, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »

My son Tim was doing the driving.  Most fun I've had since HRP closed.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnQO1Y_AMPs
GKR
Global Moderator
Fanatical Cruiser

www.HawaiianHotRod.com

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »

Haha !  That looks like a lot of fun.  thumbsup

And I like this one too !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=mRMeuqRv2n4&NR=1

WWW.HAWAIIANHOTROD.COM

Hawaiian Hot Rod and Metal Works
GeckoSS
Founder, Paradise Cruisers
Fanatical Cruiser

Eat'm-up Stuff's Li'dat 767 GeckoSS

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »

My son Tim was doing the driving.  Most fun I've had since HRP closed.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnQO1Y_AMPs

Hmmmmmmmm AWESOME!!!

Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »

Got a revised video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm8r9m-nKEw 

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as my son and I got to do it.   3gears
I have a hole in my head
Fanatical Cruiser

Gifts with strings are no longer gifts

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:51 PM »

Hows the sand?

Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »

This is his son - the fortunate one that gets to drives:

My take on it is that the sand is a lot different then asphalt both in a good and a bad way. 

It is bad in that you have that squirrly feeling all the way down - as if you had lost traction if it were asphalt.  It is a bit unnerving in the beginning...but it is also a kind of rush. 

The good is that even though it feels that way, it is very forgiving all things considered.  I had an instance where I hit a bad rut...another difference of the sand...but was able to regain control fairly easily compared to asphalt.  All in all I feel that it is a great alternative to a 1/4 mile asphalt, the launches are different...staging wise and there are no burnouts...but these are all fairly easy to get accustomed to after a few runs.

Hope that helps!  Get out there...better than the garage!
ArchangelX
Dedicated Cruiser

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »

Gotta say I'm very appreciative of the work the Ing family has put into their car in order for it to run at the Sand Drags.  It's really a spectacle to see this car run at KRP.  With a bit more practice, this car will definitely be competitive in the Unlimited class.  I've got nothing but positive comments from spectators on seeing the Camaro run.  Combine this with Alika Harris' 1934 Roadster, and I think people will truly start to see that you can run alot of different vehicles at Sand Drags and have a great time.

Thanks Gerald & Tim!
Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »

The REAL thanks should go out the Grace's, who are the one's responsible for providing a safe place to race here on Oahu.

I am still hoping that sometime in the future we will have a 1/8 or mile asphalt track to race on but until then sand drags will have to do.  My Camaro has been sitting on its trailer for far too long.

So to reiterate what I said earlier, this has been the most fun I've had since HRP closed.   3gears
GKR
Global Moderator
Fanatical Cruiser

www.HawaiianHotRod.com

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »

That certainly does look like a lot of fun !  thumbsup

Mr. Speedy, if I may ask, what class did your nice Camaro run at HRP ?

And also, besides the tires, what kind of revisions did you need to make to run in the sand vs asphalt ?

WWW.HAWAIIANHOTROD.COM

Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 08:54:59 AM »

Mr. GKR,

Thanks for your questions. 

To answer your 1st question, I ran in Super ET class.  Best ET was 10.139 @129.31 mph.  After HRP closed I rebuilt the car with 4 link tubed rear, square tube full frame, lexan windows, 12 point roll cage, etc.  When the Superferry was in service we went to Maui to get NHRA license.  Check out this link.  http://vimeo.com/18451540

In regards to your 2nd question, I will be providing an answer in a little while.  I am presently working on something that may be fun for everyone. 
Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »

Go to Whatevas and enter the Suzy-Q Rides Again Contest.  Guess what you think were that changes made to Suzy-Q to run on sand.  Good luck everyone.   thumbsup
Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »

This is a video of the 1st race of the 2013 Sand Drag season.  It was held on May 19th.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywHHAerEMa8
We lost first round to Tom Brown's dragster by breaking out.  shrug  Ran a 4.868 on a 4.900 dial-in.  Cry  Hopefully the next race we'll get pass first round and have a longer running video to watch.

Thanks for watching and hope you guys enjoy it.   Grin
GKR
Global Moderator
Fanatical Cruiser

www.HawaiianHotRod.com

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »

Frickin awesome video !  peace You guys are having too much fun.  laugh

WWW.HAWAIIANHOTROD.COM

Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »

Thanks.  It's sure more fun than having my Camaro just sit on the trailer in my garage collecting dust.   shrug  

Nevertheless I sure do miss racing on asphalt.  Cry  I would love to have a 1/8th or a 1/4 asphalt track here on Oahu. 
Speedy
100 Posts, baby!

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »

This is a video of our Camaro at the KRP Sand Drag race held on June 2, 2013.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RhDEzX0XMI

My son Tim did an awesome job driving and I am finally kinda getting a handle on how to get Lil' Suzy Q to run consistent ETs.

Thanks for watching.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: