Paradise Cruisers Forum
September 01, 2014, 01:11:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: The "Calendar" and "Events" board have been updated with the latest schedule of Cruise Nights by East End Hot Rods!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONE TIME HAWAII'S FASTEST SREET CAR  (Read 7819 times)
GUMBY
« on: July 25, 2006, 01:37:37 PM »

OK, I know the pic's are not the greatest..... but hey I only had my camera phone with me and the car was on the way to the pier to be shipped off. (I was just stoked to see it again!)  What you are looking at is a '70 factory Hemi Super Stock Challenger (for those of you who have sharp eyes, it was updated to a '71) that was built and tuned by Dandy Dick Landy himself! I know it it's doesn't look like much but this car ran high 9's in street form thru the exhaust in the late 70's the car was owned by a local gentleman who had a speed shop here in the 70's called Competion cars. He owned some very rare and fast cars, such as this Hemi car and it it's twin, that's right he had two of these puppies.  He also owned a '70 Motion camaro (which ended up at Aiea towing), a turbo'ed dodge colt (also Landy built) that was on the cover of hot rod, a 8 second modified production national record holding 65 vette that was tuned by pro stockers Richie Zuel with some Warren Johnson parts. And his parts delivery car was a motion chevelle that he ended up totaling

This Challenger was also on the cover of Car Craft(with artical) before it was shipped here. the last time I saw the car before it got sent to an open filed in Waianae was in '85 at the guy's salt lake home. me and a "FRIEND" got the thing running and man did it sound awesome!  an aluminum headed, twin dominator Hemi!

the car is being shipped off to be restored and probably then sold for some righteous bucks!  a friend found both Hemi cars sitting in a field up waianae valley road. Surprisingly the car is not all that bad, but because it is a factory Hemi super stock car (which means acid dipped body, no back seat, etc..)  and it was built by Landy it is worth the time and effort. I don't even want to begin to guess what this thing is worth!  The guy's have already started getting offers from collectors in the mainland!

* Landy Hemi 2.jpg (13.81 KB, 640x480 - viewed 512 times.)

* Landy Hemi 1.jpg (4.65 KB, 320x240 - viewed 428 times.)

* Landy Hemi 3.jpg (3.93 KB, 160x120 - viewed 467 times.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:43:57 PM by GUMBY » Logged
Chad89GT
Administrator
Fanatical Cruiser

9-sec jigsaw puzzle!

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:48:02 PM »

Damn, how can someone let a car like that sit in a FIELD !??!?!   Uhg.  At least it'll end up at ina good home eventually.  Wonder if it'll go through Barret/Jackson.

306 with a few bolt ons... honest...
Quote from: Shaff90GT
The chinese set fire crackers for everything.  "Hey man, I have to go take a shit!" POW POW POW
Quote from: Hawaiian Turbo
I have a rotating ass. if anyone is interested
Steves40th
Water Boy
Dedicated Cruiser

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:53:55 PM »

MY Dad found a hemi Cuda in Oregon in a field, and its as if the guy HATES CUdas, as he wont sell it and all its doin gis rusting. It was a 70. Some people just dont give a hoot.
Chad89GT
Administrator
Fanatical Cruiser

9-sec jigsaw puzzle!

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:55:34 PM »

Care to share the location?  Grin

306 with a few bolt ons... honest...
Quote from: Shaff90GT
The chinese set fire crackers for everything.  "Hey man, I have to go take a shit!" POW POW POW
Quote from: Hawaiian Turbo
I have a rotating ass. if anyone is interested
roadwarriorsvt
Mr. Tinkles
Fanatical Cruiser

I'll Be Your Huckleberry

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:01:47 PM »

There should be a law against someone abusing their Cuda!  Shocked

Home Of The Hawaii Hotrauder! 

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln
62S
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »

There should be a law against someone abusing their Cuda! Shocked

There is... Arrest that man  police... Cruelty to a perfectly good race car and letting it go to pasture... busted
GUMBY
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:15:27 PM »

Hey I was talking with John Force Wanna-bee and he said that he remebered seeing the car run in 1980 at HRP. He said it ran like a 9.90 with Dick Landy driving!  We actually found reciepts for Landy Interprises at the guys house where the guy use to fly (Landy) in just to tune the car for him!  Unreal!!
62S
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:18:22 PM »

Is this the one that had a pistol grip 4 speed in it Huh
Steves40th
Water Boy
Dedicated Cruiser

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 02:22:03 PM »

Care to share the location? Grin
Somehwere near Eugene and Junction city, below Salem Oregon.
I am sure my Dad has notified the authorities, Smiley There is a huge cruise they do every year down in Juction City, and Dad knows allot of people and I am sure they know.
Do I hear Midnight auto salvage.........
7TSS
Enthusiastic Cruiser

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 02:32:43 PM »

I remember him and Vince in the Woodstock Camaro had a grudge going so that's why he had the evil twin from DLI built. The blue cars were bad ass back then.

xurusaibobx
Fanatical Cruiser

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:00:43 PM »

OMG!  i think i need a new keyboard....

" thoses who dwell on the pass, will live in the pass... thoses who think about today will live day to day....thoses who seek for tomorrow, will always see shet comming..."
DaSurfa
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »

Isnt that Clarance Nihikata's   old cars   Huh?? ,,,, He had 2 of em(both were Challenger's tho not Cuda's) I believe HuhHuh?? 

& I was Told By Kent Kami that Dick landy did come out and tune it and it ran in the mid 10's  never in the 9's ....... 1 was a race Hemi and 1 was a 440 6-pack   ...At the track Albert Furuto drove at the track ..one was a street car and one was a race Hemi in a street car.....  joy joy shrug shrug shrug
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:12:13 PM by DaSurfa » Logged
GUMBY
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 04:01:06 PM »

Ah..... close but no cigar! as Landy would put it! the two Challengers had HEMI's in them! one was a race car (but had plates and exhaust) and the other was a street version!  you are right about the name, really didn't wanna post it!  When I worked on the race HEMI car it had two dominators, aluminum heads, a unique ladder bar suspension, and was an automatic. The street car had the factory type AFB's on it with aluminum heads.... Oh and BTW, the cylinder heads had AFR stamped on them... which stands for Air Flow Reserch.  Like I posted earlier I and John Force wanna-be watched the car run 9's!

Yes Plastic-man, I have heard the same thing that Vince and Clarence had some kind of grudge going on..... Glen Nishida had told me the same thing... but Clarence just had too much cash to spend!!  I also understand that Vince still has the Woodstock Maro! Glass shop John went to look at it a few years back! was konna buy it, but couldn't come to terms with Vince. He said that Vince was holding the car for his son and when the son said I no likey I likey Honda's the car got pushed out of the garage to the side of the house! How sad is that!!!!
468 HeavyWeight
100 Posts, baby!

What da scoop, hula hoop ?

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 04:07:12 PM »

I remember standing on the starting line and watching that Challenger run.

I think Vince did recently sell that Woodstock Camaro. I saw it on the back fo this tow truck in Waipahu, and he mentioned that someone who works for Pflueger bought um'. I wasn't quick enough with my phone camera to catch it being towed though,but It was nice to see that car again too.

DaSurfa
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 04:11:57 PM »

Gumby No   9's  according to Kent.... He told me he used to try to stir up a race with  Clarence back in the day and he didnt really race the car...he just drove on the street...I really dont think It went 9's Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt Hmmmmmmmm could of Huhshrug shrug     I dont know Nuttin Honey...... & I dont think its bad to post his Name.....Its a credit to him the he had those cars........

That suspension was Mopars version of a ladderr setup...cant remeber what it was called tho
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:13:36 PM by DaSurfa » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: